Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Habits of Life

I've read this post by Phil Ford over at Dial M several times now, and still haven't taken it all on board. It's a further exploration of issues in the post I linked to and talked about here

Here's one quote:

>>...if you're not doing something about those little scripts you run in your brain—if you're not intervening at the level of the "operating system" rather than on the level of content—you will almost certainly end up taking a lot more time and energy getting the results you want, the end product won't satisfy you, and you won't be very happy about the experience. <<

I'm not sure it's an either/or duality, but understanding that working to improve your music making should include some "operating system" growth and adjustment will be very helpful. This is all at the core of what music therapy can be about, and there's a great deal of overlap with Buddhist "mind training". Will be returning to the subject, but for now just want to make the link.

2 comments:

  1. This is really a matter of the techniques I described in "How to practice a difficult passage effectively" write large on to the issue s of life in general. Bad habits are established by repetition, and good habits replacing them can only be established by consciously directed repetition to erase and overwrite the memory of the bad habits.

    The right-brain part of it it is recognising the existence of the bad habits in the first place, and the left-brain part is the consciously directed repetition of replacement good habits.

    Easy to say - much harder to do! For instance, I'm engaging in higher procrastination writing this comment when I ought to be working...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan - Agree on all points, especially the last! I really do want to come back to all of this, but I'm still working out my thoughts on your post on "mimicry". It's like your use of "musicality". Both words encapsulate ideas I've had for the longest time in illuminating new ways. Just hoping all the ideas in this and Phil's post will benefit from a while simmering along on the back burner. Like I said, I tend to be slow witted about things of this nature, especially when it means investigating and rearranging basic assumptions and concepts.

    ReplyDelete