Saturday, June 13, 2009

Eventfulness

Here lately, Kyle Gann over at PostClassic has been putting up some of his best posts ever. This post in particular, where he talks about interviewing Robert Ashley, really helps me understand what the current new music folks are up to. Here's a quote from Ashley that, for me, is a very fresh take on the nature of music.

 >>I was never interested in eventfulness. I was only interested in sound. I mean, just literally, sound in the Morton Feldman sense.... There's a quality in music that is outside of time, that is not related to time. And that has always fascinated me... That's sort of what I'm all about, from the first until the most recent. A lot of people are back into eventfulness. But it's very boring. Eventfulness is really boring.<<

No comments:

Post a Comment